Alcona Quilt Trail Driving Directions

Alcona Quilt Trail Driving Directions

Start at:

#1 Hollyhock Quilt Shoppe, (north side of) 301 E. Main St., downtown Harrisville. This block is the Economy Patch with hollyhocks, chosen for the many businesses that have occupied this building since it was built in 1866 as the Alcona House Hotel. This is one of only four buildings left in town that survived many fires in the early days of Harrisville. Proceed west to U.S. 23 (the traffic light), then a short distance north on U.S. 23 to

#2 Crick home, 501 N. State St., Harrisville. (west side of U.S. 23 just north of the mill pond.) Their block is the “Mill Wheel”, since their property crosses the state-owned mill pond that leads out to Lake Huron. The house was constructed in 1907; the garage where the block is mounted was originally built as a stable in 1908. Proceed north on U.S. 23 to Lakeshore Drive, then north to

#3 Cedarbrook Trout Farm, (east side of) 1543 N. Lakeshore Dr., Harrisville. The “Little Fisherman” block is self-explanatory. Cedarbrook was licensed as Michigan’s first trout farm over 75 years ago. Lakeshore Drive used to be the main road along the lake and this place was a watering spot for native Americans, trappers, logging teams and explorers. Bait & equipment furnished, no license required. Open seven days a week, 12-6 p.m. Father’s Day through Labor Day; then Saturdays and Sundays 12-5 p.m. through Oct. 15; then closed until
spring. Continue north on Lakeshore Drive to

#4 Alcona Township Black River Park (east side). This park is a popular recreation area, and the small bridge you drove over is the site of the annual Black River Bridge Walk that takes place on Labor Day (in case you can’t get to the larger bridge walk further north…) which is depicted on their quilt square. Continue north a short distance to Black River Road, turn west (left). Proceed across U.S. 23, look for the first place on the left after the Mountain Inn, which is the

#5 Benghauser home, 4028 Black River Road. This property was originally settled by the Fontaine family, who came from Canada and built a log cabin in the center of what is now the circular drive. The present home was built in 1892. The Benghauser family purchased the farm in 1954, adding acreage in the 1960’s. “Beng” Benghauser worked with the Michigan Forestry Department and the DNR to implement a series of conservation programs, including three tree farms. Their block is appropriately the “Pine Tree”. Proceed west on Black River Road some distance (about two miles) to F-41, continue west on Roe Road (the road name changes here) until it merges with Swede Road. Continue to Gillard Road, turn right (north)
to

#6 Spruce Presbyterian Church, (east side of) 6230 Gillard Road, Spruce. Originally called Caledonia Presbyterian Church after the township it was located in, the church was organized by settlers of mostly Scottish and Swedish descent. Rev. Boyce was the longest-serving pastor, from 1901 through 1933 with the exception of six years. On the night of October 1, 1933, the white clapboard church building burned to the ground, cause unknown. In December 1933 the Rev. Boyce died, so the congregation lost its building and pastor within a short space of time. The Gothic-style fieldstone church was built and rededicated in 1936. Their block is “Cross and Crown”. Proceed north to Spruce Road, turn right (east). Proceed to F-

41 (also called Barlow Road), then turn right (south). Go a short distance, and be
watching, the next barn is on your right and there is a clearing cut so you can see the barn and block clearly.

#7 Holsworth farm, (west side of) 6195 F-41, Spruce. Pull in the driveway for a safe
view of the barn, off the busy roadway. A Michigan Centennial Farm, it is owned by
Ramona Clark-Holsworth and Jim Holsworth. The barn was built in 1921 by George S. Snowden, grandfather to the late Harold Clark. Harold and his father Thomas raced horses in Alpena in the 1950’s. Horses are still kept on the farm for pleasure riding by the family. Their quilt design features a horse in the center of a log cabin quilt square, symbolizing their central importance to this family. Carefully pull out of the driveway and proceed south on F-41 about four miles to Shaw Rd., turn east (left), go about three miles to

#8 Old Stone Church (Haynes Community Church), north side, 5606 Shaw Rd.
(church located at the intersection of Shaw Rd. and Poor Farm Rd.). This church was established in 1887; at that time it was located at the corner of Lakeshore Drive and Alcona Road, but was later moved to the top of the hill, across the road from it’s present site. That church building burned, but some pews, the pulpit, and a few other furnishings were saved. The present “Old Stone Church” was built during the Depression, taking ten years to complete. It is still an active congregation. The “Double Wedding Ring” block was chosen due to the many weddings held at the Old Stone Churchthrough the years. Turn south on Poor Farm Rd. and continue a couple miles to East Quick Rd., turn west. Proceed west, road will bend south (Coville Rd.) then west again (French Rd.). Be looking to your right, the next barn is visible best from French Road before you come to the stop at F-41. Continue to F-41 (also called Barlow Rd.). Turn north (right), go a short distance to

#9 Stevens farm, (east side) 1950 N. Barlow Rd, Lincoln. The farmhouse here was
built in 1905 and has since been remodeled. Through the years, the family has un-
earthed a grinding wheel, axe and adze heads, and shoe lasts, evidence of a time
when people had to do more work for themselves. The barn was built in 1902 and
hosts the “Sister’s Choice” quilt square, selected to honor Mr. Stevens’ sister Amy who has muscular dystrophy and is active with fundraising for that organization. Continue north on Barlow to Miller Rd., turn west (left). Proceed to Somers Rd., turn south (left), continue to

#10 Somers farm, (east side) 1940 N. Somers Rd., Lincoln. The Somers family has
worked hard to make this property the showplace it is today. Their block is called
“Centennial” and was chosen because this is a Michigan Centennial Farm. Continue
south to Apsey Rd/Ritchie Rd (where Somers Road dead-ends). Turn west, proceed
thorugh S-curve to

#11 Godi farm, (north side) 2249 Ritchie Rd., Lincoln. This barn was originally used
for cattle, but now is storage for the Godi family. Mrs. Godi’s mother and grandmother both made quilts. Their block is called “Farm Friendliness”. Turn around here and go back east on Ritchie Rd., through S curve and south into Lincoln, becomes Lake Street. Proceed south on Lake St. to

#12 Lincoln Train Depot, northeast corner of Lake and Fiske St. in Lincoln. Built circa
1886, this is possibly the only remaining wooden depot in the state. It has been re-
stored by local volunteers over the past ten years. The building and grounds now host an impressive display of railroad memorabilia, including a caboose car and switch engine. A group of local ladies hand-quilt in the waiting room weekly; they make quilts to raffle as a fund-raiser for the depot. Their quilt trail block is called “At The Depot”. The depot is open the first Monday in July, through September. Hours: Monday 10-2; Tuesday 1-3; Wednesday 11-3, Thursday 2-4; Friday 6-8 p.m.; closed weekends. Turn left on Fiske St. Proceed through Lincoln on Fiske St. until it dead-ends into

#13 the Flights of Imagination Park in Lincoln, north of Marshall Street. Formerly
just a wooded lot with a few picnic tables, the park is being renovated through grants and volunteer labor. Future plans include an ice rink and a gazebo. Their quilt trail block is “Child’s Play”. The gravel drive from Fiske bends around and ends at Marshall St. Take Marshall Street east (left), curving south to Traverse Bay State Rd. Turn east (left), proceed a short distance to F-41. (Note: here at this intersection are two gas stations.) Turn south (right) on F-41. Proceed a couple miles to M-72, turn east (left) and proceed to

#14 White Barn Gardens, (north side) 4299 E. M-72, Harrisville. This bow-truss style
barn was disassembled and relocated from its original site in the county to the Thompson property, where it has been restored and is now in use. They raise flowers and produce for the farmer’s market, so they chose the “Giant Sunflower” block. Proceed a short distance to Poor Farm Rd., turn south (right) and proceed to Clark Rd., turn east (left). Proceed a short distance to McLean Rd., turn south to

#15 Seaver Country House, (east side of) 311 McLean Rd., Harris-
ville. Owned by George and Marcy Redlawsk. Mrs. Seaver, who owned the farm in
the 1930’s, was a wealthy, well-traveled widow who devoted her life to her family and raising prize-winning Hampshire sheep. The restored farmhouse showcases many of the architectural featured Mrs. Seaver brought back from Europe, including carved wooden pillars from Italy, marble floors in the atrium, and hand-painted murals. Their quilt trail block, the “Weathervane”, is highlighted by a Hampshire sheep. Go back to Clark Road, turn right and continue east to U.S. 23. Turn south (right) and proceed to Greenbush to Campbell St., turn west (right). Continue to

#16 Greenbush School, (north side of) 5029 Campbell St., Greenbush. Owned by
the Greenbush Historical Society, contact Ed & Donna Roddy 989-739-2159. This
schoolhouse served the area from 1870 to 1947. Greenbush, previously named
“Perfection”, once boasted a hotel, a bar, and three gas stations. A tunnel (since filled in) ran underground from the hotel to the Lake Huron beach, allowing patrons to reach the shoreline without having to cross the busy highway, now U.S. 23. Greenbush is the most populated township in Alcona County. Their quilt trail block features the schoolhouse bell among the community’s namesake trees or “green bush”. Go back east to Cedar Lake Rd., turn south (right) and proceed a short distance to Ridley Rd.  Turn west (right), go to

#17 Spencer Park, (north side of) Ridley Rd., about 1/4 mile west from Cedar Lake
Road. This park is named after retired Detroit fire chief Ray Spencer, who served as
Greenbush Trustee and chairman of the Greenbush Chamber of Commerce. Their
block is the sunbonnet girl on a swing. Turn around and go back east to Cedar Lake
Rd. Turn north (left) and proceed to F-30. Turn west (left) and continue about four
miles to

#18 Bruce Park, (north side of) F-30, about two block east of the blinker light at F-41
in Mikado. Donated to the community by the founder of Mikado, Daniel Bruce, the
park had fallen into disrepair until concerned citizens recently organized an effort to
refurbish it. Featuring new restrooms, flagpole, benches, picnic tables and grills, the
park was rededicated in the spring of 2009. Their quilt trail block is “Annie’s Choice”, a favorite pattern of longtime resident Annie Loyer. She made quilts of this pattern for people in the community who were needy or had a fire or other catastrophy. Continue two blocks west on F-30 to F-41, turn north (right). Proceed to Procunier Rd., turn east (right).  Proceed to

#19 Leeseberg Farms, (south side of) 2676 Procunier Rd., Harrisville, MI 48740  989-736-8655 or 989-335-0904  leesebergfarms@gmail.com also find us on Facebook.  Farm tours and beef purchase by appointment.  Find us at farmer’s markets in Lincoln, Tawas, Oscoda and Alpena. Originally a Procunier family farm in the 1800’s, the vacant 40-acre property had fallen into disrepair when Cindy and Gary Leeseberg purchased it in 1980.  At one time it was a D & M
railroad passenger stop for area residents going north to Lincoln and south to Bay City, including lumber barons and lumberjacks.  Apple trees have grown up along the railroad bed, evidence of snacks eaten by passengers who then tossed the cores out the window; hence the Leeseberg’s QUilt Trail block, “A Snack For The Train”.  Local folks still come to pick their favorite heirloom apples from these trees.  Railroad spikes, coal and fire bricks are still discovered when the fields are worked.  The Leesebergs originally wanted a few cattle and a garden for the family; by 2011 they had expanded their beef herd to 150 Angus cross cattle and are licensed and insured to sell their products.  The cattle are born on the farm, have no added hormones and are antibiotic-free, remaining on the farm until they are transported to the USDA processing plant.  They offer both grain-fed (non-GMO) and
grass-fed beef in cuts like ground beef, single steaks, and roasats cut for small families and flash-frozen.  Turn around here and go back west to F-41, turn north (right).  Proceed to Fowler Rd., turn left (west).  Proceed to McConnell Rd., turn north (right); go a short distance north to Mill St., turn west (left).  Proceed to

#20 Denny & Cathy Bordner farm, (south side of) 1704 E. Mill St., Killmaster. Lo-
cated in what was once the thriving town of Killmaster, the original barn on this property burned in the early 1930’s. The Pheister family (Cathy’s grandparents) purchased, disassembled, and moved this barn with horse and wagon from another farm five miles away. It was reassembled at its present location. Their quilt trail block, the “Double Ohio Star” honors all of Cathy’s grandparents who came here from Ohio in the early 1920’s. The Bordners are both master gardeners and sell their produce at the farmer’s market in Harrisville on Saturdays. (Note: no on-farm sales.) Proceed west on Mill St., it will continue through Killmaster and then bend south (left), becomes Cruzen Rd.  Proceed south on Cruzen Rd. to F-41.  Turn west (right), and go about a mile to

#21 Harmony Acres, (north side of) 433 E. F-30, Mikado, MI. Formerly Harmony Acres, site of Klondike School.  For many years, Chuck and Mary Harmon successfully ran Harmony Acres, their beekeeping business where they produced honey, beeswax, cosmetics and other honey-related products.  In recent years, the bees began to die from the effects of pesticides and toxins in the environment, so the business closed in 2010.  Mary’s father attended the Klondike School that once stood here; the foundation is all that remains.  Built by Henry Loud about 1910, the building was then sold to school district #4.  Their quilt trail square is the traditional Honey Bee block, with the center portion altered to include the Schoolhouse pattern as well.  Proceed west on F-30 to Hubbard Lake Rd., turn north (right). Proceed to M-72, turn west (left); proceed west to Sanborn Rd., turn north (right). Go a short distance to

#22 MacNeill farm, (west side of) 351 N. Sanborn Rd., Barton City. This Michigan
Centennial Farm was originally settled by the Scots-Irish MacGregor family who came from Canada, and has passed down in the family mostly through the women. The barn was used for general farm use as well as Hereford cattle, and now it stores hay. Mr. MacNeill’s racing colors are purple and gold, so their quilt trail block is “MacNeill’s Flywheel” for his love of engines. Proceed north to Trask Lake Rd, turn west (left).  Continue on Trask Lake Rd. to

#23 Barton City Community Park, (south side of) Trask Lake Rd. Barton City has
had a baseball team for many years, and the team colors are green and gold. There
used to be a railroad turnaround near the site as well when Barton City was a logging community. Their quilt trail block is the Log Cabin done in the baseball team colors, to celebrate the town’s heritage. (Note: there is a gas station in Barton City.) Proceed through Barton City west on Trask Lake Rd. to Stout Rd. Turn south (left), continue on Stout Rd.; you’ll cross over M-72 and continue south on Stout Road. Be watching to see the next block, it will be on your right mounted on posts close to the road. You’ll see a newer wooden fence on your right before you get to it, the property owner just had the fence installed recently. The barn sits on the right, back in the trees; we had to mount the block outside the fence so the horses wouldn’t chew it. This is

#24 Quart farm, (west side of) 1670 Stout Rd., Millen Township. The Quart family has raised horses here for many years, and the barn was built in 1937 as a horse barn for Mr. Quart’s show horses. It is constructed of massive white pine logs that were cut on the property, and the exterior is glazed brick. The interior has pine paneling and has a wooden brick floor so the horses will not slip. An old-fashioned barn dance was held when the barn was completed. The cowboy boot was chosen for the quilt trail block, and the colors represent the horses Mr. Quart raised. Continue south on Stout Rd., it jogs east at Mikado-Glennie Rd. a short distance then continues as Stout Rd. south. It bends west (right) to become F-30 Glennie Rd., then bends south and west to become F-30 Bamfield Rd. Proceed west to

#25 Curtis Township Library, (north side of) 4884 Bamfield Rd., Glennie. The library
was established in 1996 and serves the communities of Glennie and Curtisville. It was first housed in an unheated 600 square foot room behind the fire hall. The present building was constructed in 1998, funded entirely by grants, and built with volunteer labor. The property was originally owned by George Sweet and donated to the township. Their quilt trail block is “Helping Hands” to symbolize all the volunteer help that has made it possible. Proceed west on Bamfield Rd. to downtown Glennie (gas station here) at the intersection of Bamfield and M-65. Proceed west on Bamfield Road three
miles to

#26 Alcona Canoe Rental, 6351 Bamfield Rd., Glennie. A popular recreation area,
this location along the Au Sable River near Alcona Park is one of the prettiest places in Alcona County, showcasing Mother Nature at her best. Go to www.alconacanoes.com for more information about camping and canoe rental. Their quilt trail block is appropriately the “Crossed Canoes” pattern. Proceed west on Bamfield Rd. (F-30) to Au Sable Road, turn north (right). Proceed to Aspen Alley Road, turn east (right). Continue several miles to where Aspen Alley Road joins M-65, turn north (left). Proceed a short distance to

#27 Small family barn, northeast corner of M-65 and Small Road. This property was
first owned by W.H. Wiedbrauk circa 1886; it is now owned by Jack and Maxine Small, who raise black Angus cattle with the help of their son Kevin. Jack’s parents Alma and Ward Small came to Curran in 1928; Alma was the postmaster in Curran for 32 years, and Ward served as Mitchell Township Supervisor for many years. Their “Little Red Barn” quilt block depicts two of their cattle. Proceed north on M-65 a short distance to Tower Rd., turn east (right). Proceed a short distance to

#28 Mitchell Township Hall, (south side of) 6849 W. Tower Rd., Curran. Curran is
the Black Bear Capital of Michigan, and the community celebrates with a Black Bear Festival in September. Their quilt trail block is the red patchwork Bear Paw with a black bear in the center.

And that is the last one on our loop. If you wish to return to Harrisville, the easiest
route is to go back on M-65 south until you come to the intersection of M-72 and turn east (left). That will take you directly back to US 23. This will take about 30 minutes, from Curran to Harrisville. We hope you enjoyed our quilt trail!